UPDATE ON CHINA TRAVEL TESTING: SARS-CoV-2 Antibody Testing Changes
To account for vaccinated individuals, antibody testing requirements have been changed. Travelers are now required to have an anti-S antibody test, and an anti-N protein antibody test if positive on the S Protein. If you have been vaccinated, you may be and are likely to be positive for the S Protein. You will then be tested for the N protein. If you are S Protein Positive, N Protein Negative, RT-PCR Negative, and Vaccinated, you should be fine to travel to China.
Covid-19 Testing for Travel to China
TargetDx Laboratory is an approved testing institution by the Chinese Consulate General in San Francisco for both COVID-19 Nucleic Acid and Serology IgM Antibody tests for traveling. We work closely with the Chinese Consulate to ensure our reporting and documentations are compliant and meet all requirements for COVID-19 testing for travel to China.
The COVID-19 testing packages for travel to China offered by TargetDx fulfill requirements as set forth by the San Francisco Chinese General Consulate. Requirements may change at any time as deemed by the general consulate and we will change our tests accordingly.
- Current required tests: COVID-19 PCR NAAT RT-PCR + Antibody Test (IgM, S Protein & N Protein)
- Expedited test services: choose between 14-hour or 24-hour turnaround time
- Test result report provided to the Testee and submitted to the Chinese Consulate General (required)
- Test result report that complies with the requirements set forth by the Chinese Consulate
COVID-19 tests we offer for travel to China are:
- COVID-19 PCR NAAT RT-PCR and Antibody Test (IgM, S and N Protein), Travel, 14-hr turnaround
- COVID-19 PCR NAAT RT-PCR and Antibody Test (IgM, S and N Protein), Travel, 24-hr turnaround
Our travel test appointment hours are 8:30 am – 1:30 pm
FAQ for Travel
Yes, we are an approved testing site (http://www.chinaconsulatesf.org/eng/zytz/P020201221528215654498.pdf).
Each country, state and airline have their own requirements for travel. TargetDx COVID-19 PCR Viral Test results are accepted for most travel interstate and internationally. TargetDx Laboratory is currently not doing to testing for Hawaii travelers. Hawaii travelers must get tested with preferred lab vendors by the state of Hawaii.
Get tested with a viral test 1-3 days before you travel. Keep a copy of your test results with you during travel in case you are asked for them. Do NOT travel if you test positive.
Please check travel testing requirements by the country or state to which you are travelling. Below are some resources for travel information:
- China Travel: http://www.chinaconsulatesf.org/eng/zytz/t1841576.htm
- US Travel, CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-planner/index.html
- International Travel, CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html
- Travel, CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/fr-proof-negative-test.html
- Travel Info by Country: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/COVID-19-Country-Specific-Information.html
There are more sites for information. Please do your due diligence and check the testing requirements before travelling to a state, country or through an airline.
Our COVID-19 Testing Package for Travel ($400) to China includes PCR and Antibody tests, documentations, submission to the consulate and 14-hour turnaround time for tests. These tests must be done 2 days prior to the flight. Both SARS-CoV-2 NAAT RT-PCR and Antibody (S and N Protein) tests are required for travel to China.
Whether for Travel or Normal (non-travel) testing, please visit our website at https://targetdxlab.com/ and click the blue “Book Your Appointment” box. This will allow you to register as a patient, book an appointment, and pay for the test(s) you have selected.
Our lab is open 9am-5pm Monday through Friday. Our collection hours are 8:30am – 1:30pm Monday through Friday. An appointment is required.
Please note that for Expedited Results (same day), our cut-off time for receiving samples is 1:30pm. Results are generally available between 7-10 PM.
Next Day Results are collected between 11-2:30 PM and generally available between 2-4pm the next day.
Reports are produced within 8-24 hours. If you select the same day result, you will get the result between 7-10 pm. If you select the 24 hour package, then you will get your results between 2 – 5 pm the next day.
Results are normally sent out by email and through your portal within 8-24 hours after receipt at our laboratory. If you have not received them when you are suppose to, check your patient portal and in your spam and junk folders in your email. When checking your junk folder, you may need to do a search for “targetdxlab”. You can also email email@example.com.
To account for vaccinated individuals, antibody testing requirements have been changed by the Chinese Consulate General. Travelers are now required to have an anti-S antibody test, and an anti-N protein antibody test if positive on the S Protein. If you have been vaccinated, you may be and are likely to be positive for the S Protein. You will then be tested for the N protein. If you are S Protein Positive, N Protein Negative, RT-PCR Negative, and Vaccinated, you should be fine to travel to China.
If you have been vaccinated with the Pfizer, Moderna, or J&J vaccine, this usually does NOT show as positive on the N Protein Immunoassay (i.e., ELISA), unless you have been previously infected (and dependent upon when you were infected). Our ELISA test has a specificity of 99.8% and a sensitivity of 99.5%.
We provide the antibody lateral flow (aka colloidal gold) or the S Protein immunoassay (i.e., ELISA) platform specific for S-Protein. These assays are expected to detect antibodies induced from the Pfizer, Moderna and J&J vaccines. Our lateral flow test has a sensitivity and specificity of 100% for IgM and 97.5% for IgG. Our immunoassay has a specificity of 99.9% and sensitivity of 96.6%.
Should you test positive on the S Protein, we will process your sample on the N protein as required by the Chinese Consulate General at no extra cost.
Our molecular tests detect multiple (3) SARS-CoV-2 Targets and an MS2 phage and has a sensitivity and specificity of >99.9. Since this test is designed to detect multiple genetic targets, the overall test sensitivity should not be impacted by current variant mutations.
Yes, we have a collection and laboratory site located at 6541 Via Del Oro, Suite B, San Jose, CA 95119.
Our phone is 219-510-0120. For travel information: firstname.lastname@example.org; For others: email@example.com
We will email a copy of your test result as an encrypted and password protected PDF file, as well as provide you with a patient portal for access. For china travelers, copies of the PDF reports are sent to the SF Chinese Consulate-General e-mailbox. Please make sure to check your spam and junk mail. If you have not received your results by 9 PM, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or log-in to your patient portal to access your result.
Copies of the PDF reports for COVID-19 tests for travel to China are sent to the SF Chinese Consulate-General e-mailbox. If you choose the China travel package, you must provide permission to release your test results to the SF Chinese Consulate-General e-mailbox.
• All cancellations will incur a 3.5% transaction fee.
• Cancellation 3 days prior to appointment will incur a 50% charge fee.
• No refunds are provided for cancellations within 24 hours of appointment.
Travel testing is not covered by insurance. The patient can pay for the test out-of-pocket
Antibody testing is not covered by insurance unless deemed medically necessary by your physician.
Results are normally sent out by email and through your portal within 24-48 hours after receipt at our laboratory. If you have not received them after 2 days, check your portal and in your spam and junk folders in your email. When checking your junk folder, you may need to do a search for “targetdxlab”. In any case, we will resend your results within 24 hours.
Yes, the report explicitly states that our test detects Venous Serum or Plasma IgM, IgG, IgA, or IgM (only) or IgG (only).
The method used for our Antibody test method is an Immunoassay: enzyme linked immunosorbent assays (ELISA) for combine IgM, IgG, and IgA; or Colloidal Gold (IgM only, IgG only).
The method for the Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) is Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR).
These are indicated on the reports.
There has recently been a sharp increase of imported COVID-19 cases from the United States in China. Most of them can be traced to infection in transit, while a few are related to faulty operations of intermediary agencies and laboratories or to passengers’ nonobservance of home quarantine requirements after testing. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) counted a total of nearly 17 million confirmed cases in the United States by December 18, and another 1.2 million to 2.3 million new cases are expected to be reported every week in early January 2021. To protect the health and safety of passengers and aircrew and prevent a resurgence of COVID-19 in China, the Chinese embassy and consulates in the United States once again recommend travelers avoid all nonessential and non-urgent travels. Passengers who have urgent need of travel please follow the test guidelines and requirements listed below:
- Starting from 0:00 on December 23, 2020 Pacific Time, IgM serum antibody test must be performed by medical professionals through venous blood sampling, and the test report should include the following terms: Serum, IgM, Venous, etc. Finger-prick blood testing is no longer accepted. The report also needs to clearly state testing methods, including: (1) Colloidal gold; (2) Chemiluminescence; (3) Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay; (4) Others, please specify.
- Starting from 0:00 on December 23, 2020 Pacific Time, nucleic acid rt-PCR test report should include such terms as NAAT, RT-PCR, and specify sampling method, including: (1) Pharyngeal swab; (2) Nasopharyngeal swab; (3). Others, please specify.
III. In order to prevent infection from long-distance travel after testing, passengers traveling to China must get their samples for the nucleic acid rt-PCR and IgM serum antibody tests collected at the departure city and vicinity of their direct flight to China. The specific arrangements are as follows.
- At present, direct flights from the United States to China fly from Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, New York, Detroit and Dallas.
- Passengers must allow for the time to take pharyngeal or nasopharyngeal swabs, venous blood and other sampling in the departure city and vicinity of their flight and wait in place for the test results before the flight. Upon receiving the reports, passengers should upload them immediately to apply for the health code for boarding.
- Collected samples must be tested at a laboratory institution that is on the list released by the Chinese embassy and consulates. Please have prior confirmation with your sample collecting institution whether the samples are tested in such a laboratory. The list of laboratories is listed on the Chinese consulate’s website, and it will be adjusted from time to time. Please pay close attention to the notices and reminders on the websites of the Chinese embassy and consulates.
- When applying for the health code, flight itinerary and proof of sampling at flight departure city and vicinity (such as clinic report, letter of proof, sampling-site photos or receipts, etc.) should be uploaded alongside with test reports and other materials. If the system does not have a special upload window for flight itinerary and proof of sampling city, please upload them in the window for submitting test reports.
- Starting from 0:00 on December 23, 2020 Pacific Time, the Chinese embassy and consulates in the United States will only accept test results from the laboratories on the list, and they will be reviewed in conjunction with flight itinerary, sampling city, etc.
- The airlines are only required to check the health code for international flights to China, but if your flight contains a domestic leg, there is a possibility that some airlines have additional requirements, or their staff have different understanding as to checking the code. Please check with your airlines in advance or choose not to go to your international departure city via connecting flights.
The Chinese embassy and consulates will verify the authenticity of test results with sample collecting and testing institutions. Passengers are advised to agree to disclosure of relevant information by the institutions to the Chinese embassy and consulates, including test results.
Passengers are strongly recommended to take personal protection very seriously to avoid infection in travel to the departure city and during the stay before departure. Please minimize public contact after testing. Some states have put in domestic travel restrictions or stay-at-home order, passengers are advised to inquire about local regulations in advance and comply.
In case of any inconsistency between this Notice and the previous ones, this one shall prevail.